Monday, December 12, 2016

The gift that never fades...the greatest gift EVER. Rejoice! Pics!

Hi guys! :)

Not a bad week. :) A little cold, but hey, it`s Québec. I continue to fear the negative 30 températures that approach in the distance. :P People keep looking at me funny when I walk up all bundled up in my giant coat and scarf and gloves and hat and still look freezing cold. It`s a great contacting method though.... "I`m from Arizona, OK?!?"

This week did feel somewhat long. Not sure why, it just did. :P But it was fun. Elder Colunga and I have some pretty funny stuff we say and do sometimes. Like yesterday, we were talking about trying to make sure we were being urgent as we went about doing this work. So as we were going down the escalator into the metro, he turned away and I started running down the escalator two steps at a time. I was pretty close to dying a couple times and my arms were flailing everywhere trying to keep my balance (my coat changes my center of gravity... yeah sure, that`s it) and at about this point Elder Colunga turned around and saw me. I made it to the bottom in one piece and turned around and he was just dying laughing as he came down the escalator. This caused me to laugh pretty hard as well (because hey, I am a pretty funny guy (cue my dad saying, "funny looking")). It was one of those moments where every time you stop laughing you think of what happened again and one of you starts laughing again and then you both just laugh again. We were barely keeping it together for a good five minutes until the metro came, at which point we managed to get ourselves under control. It was pretty great; I`m just really glad we didn`t get it on video. XD

I think the biggest thing on my mind this week has been that of remembering the real meaning of Christmas. I know this is repeated all the time, but I just want to give my thoughts.

Why does everybody love Christmas so much? The lights, the music, the parties, the gifts... it`s just a holiday full of gladness and things to look forward to. There`s also the joy of giving, which I think I underrate far too often.

There is an innate joy that comes from the season. Many of us come together with family and friends to talk and laugh and enjoy each others` company. Many of us have wonderful traditions (for example, my family takes our gingerbread house out to the desert and shoots it up with firearms. To each their own).

We are surrounded by so much rejoicing and happiness. And I think back to the birth of Christ so long ago, and I think all too often we start to look at all the différences between Christmas now and Christmas then. But there is one thing that I`ve thought of that is the same: there was rejoicing. In fact, the heavens opened to the shepherds in the fields and they saw "a multitude" of angels singing and praising God. So I want to ask this question:

Why were the angels singing? Why were they rejoicing?

Why are you rejoicing? What are your reasons?

The greatest part of Christmas, the greatest thing about Christ, is that His gift never goes away. His gift never wears out or gets old. His gift was Himself. He gave Himself as our Savior, from sin and pain and anguish and imperfection. And that is an eternal truth, an incredible and neverending fact.

Let it be known that I love Jesus Christ. This Christmas, I have so many things to rejoice about. But the greatest gift I have ever received is that of a Savior. And I am so grateful that He takes me where I am and helps me to step even farther and even higher.

So wherever we might be in this world, and whoever we might be with, my commitment for this Christmas season is this:

Rejoice! There`s so much to be grateful for. :)

I love you all! En avant!

Elder Bryan McOmber

Poutine from La Banquise. Elder Colunga convinced me to get the grand size... neither of us finished. My favorite (the one I got) is called La Festival. It`s got fries, gravy, cheese curds, onion rings, hamburger, banana peppers, and a whole lot of calories. We didn`t feel like eating anything for the rest of the day. He got the poutine that was loaded with every kind of meat available... it was insane. XD

We were walking under the bridge to get to church yesterday morning and I just really liked the view.

This is what we woke up to this morning. Beautiful... from indoors. :)

This is the sugar cookie goblin I made last week. I made it into actual cookies later. :P

No comments :

Post a Comment