Wednesday, December 23, 2015

SNOW!!! Ran over my comp's foot. Being truly Christian to everyone.

Well Merry Christmas everyone!

It. Is. Snowing.

FINALLY.

I am quite excited by this. And though I imagine I will be dreaming of anything BUT snow within the next few months, for now, I love it. So... I'm totally cool with the change of weather. Snow is my friend. Some of you may or may not know this, but my family has compared me to Olaf from Frozen. I happen to agree with the comparison... for once. :P

Hmmm. Something funny that happened this week... let me think... oh yeah! Probably that one time I ran over my companion's foot with the car.

So. Let me explain. We were trying to find our GPS which had mysteriously disappeared somewhere in the backseat area. (Yes Mom... we keep it very clean... sort of... okay not really. Sorry :P) I was sitting in the driver's seat, and Elder Gutierrez was standing in the open back door, leaning into the car and looking under the seats for the GPS. I was reading through some paper or progress record or something we were working on, and I heard him say, "Hey. Pull forward a little bit." And, as any other driver would do, I placed the car in drive and pulled forward a little bit.

Onto his foot.

Elder Gutierrez started YELLING, "GETOFFGETOFFGETOFFGETOFF BACKUPBACKUPBACKUPBACKUP."

How was I supposed to know he meant to pull my SEAT forward? I was just doing what I was asked! Being obedient and stuff! I suppose he didn't see it that way. :P Don't worry, nothing's broken or anything. He was just a little uncomfortable for the next hour or so. So... all's well that ends well, right? :)

Something has really impressed me this week as we've gone about trying to find new investigators to teach. We have a list of people who have received the missionaries in the past, but stopped for one reason or another, and when we don't have any lessons or meetings or anything, we go and visit those people to ask if they'd like to hear more. I've discovered there are basically three types of people here.

1. Those who hate us. They aren't as common... but they do exist, and they are very, very rude. We've been insulted, cussed at, flipped off, and a million other very un-Christlike things have been done to us. It can get discouraging when we meet people like that.

2. Those who are indifferent. They are the most common. They're usually slightly rude as well. They usually interrupt us before we can say anything more than, "We're the missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints," say, "I'm not interested, thank you," and shut the door before we can say another word.

3. Those who are kind. They are rare, but they are miracles. And that is whether or not they're interested in the gospel we share. These people invite us in, offer us water or something, talk to us for a while, ask us how we are, where we come from, how we're liking Quebec. I want to emphasize that many of these people aren't even interested in our message; and yet they are kind and considerate and truly Christian.

Do we do the same? Regardless of what religion we are a part of... do we recognize that we are all children of our Heavenly Father? We don't have to be interested in everything that every missionary (or even salesperson!) has to offer who comes to our door... but is there any rule that says we can't invite them in for a few minutes to have a glass of lemonade or a mug of hot chocolate?

I hope we can all recognize that it is our responsibility to be kind to those around us who are loved just as deeply, and were atoned for just as fully, by our Elder Brother and Savior, Jesus the Christ.

I love my Heavenly Father. I love His Son, Jesus Christ. I love being a missionary, and I know that the message I am sharing here, thousands of miles from home and family, is the truth. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't.

En avant! And Merry Christmas!

Elder Bryan McOmber
 
I hung up my Christmas lights! YAYYY FOR CHRISTMAS SPIRIT!
 
 
That would be me and Elder Gutierrez in the car. We had come to a full and complete stop when I took this picture. Right Elder? Right. Cool.
  
 
 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
 
 
 This is our chapel. I love it dearly. :)
 
 
 I just love the snow. It is the best.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment