Monday, December 28, 2015

Christmas Fun! Cougars? Being a light in the darkness.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

So... while I have dreamt of a white Christmas for months... it was not to be. All of the snow from last Monday melted before Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day, there was not one snowflake to be found in the entire town. It was slightly depressing. However, two days after Christmas, we got about 6 inches of snow and the temperature plummeted to like -15 degrees Celsius. It's getting pretty cold now. I have this feeling like, "What did I get myself into...?" But I also am having a TON of fun driving in the snow. I have learned how to drift with the hand brake. No Mom, I promise I don't use it all the time. Just when we need to take a tight turn to get out of a parking space or something. And possibly a couple other times. :P

Christmas dinner here was something else. We ate with a Haitian family, the Jeremie's. Sister Jeremie told us like a week in advance she wanted us to come over for dinner and told us to free up our night for three hours. Then her daughter, Claire, walked up to me and said, "Trust me. You don't want to eat for three days before hand. Mom told me what she's going to make and you will explode." Well, we didn't believe her.

We should have.

We had turkey and ham and vegetables and rice and more rice and more vegetables and seafood lasagna and some sort of really good potato soup and like five other dishes I forgot. Every time Elder Gutierrez and I finished our plates and said we couldn't eat another bite... she brought out another three plates of a new dish. We thought we were going to die. Seriously. Then she gave us cake and ice cream and we REALLY thought we were going to die. We both had to sleep on our backs all night because if we tried to roll to either side we would have blown up. It was the worst. And also the best. Yay for Haitian food!!! :)

I suppose the funniest thing that happened this week would be that I was told by one of our members that, as 18 and 19 year old elders, we are "in danger of cougars." I was like, "What?" Here I am thinking there are real live cougars roaming the streets of Victoriaville.

No. That's not what he meant. And now I'm a little weirded out by that particular member.

Oh. And his wife also had a dream that she told us about. Apparently she dreamed that she was attending Elder Gutierrez' and I's double wedding. She told us she couldn't tell us what our wives looked like in the dream, then started laughing at our confused and slightly freaked out faces. We walked away. Marriage is a long long ways away. No need to worry about that.

Alright. Now that the weird stuff is out of the way.

I want to talk about Matthew 5:14-16. In these verses, the Lord compares those who follow Him to the "light of the world." He makes an important comparison between Christians and candles.

This particular analogy has been on my mind for a while. Why did He use the imagery of a candle? I would imagine it is because a candle, once lit, can be picked up and placed anywhere that the Master deems needs its light. The only thing we, as His candles, need to do is to keep our light of faith lit and keep sharing it with those around us.

As I've been thinking about being the Lord's "candles," I realized something very key. If the Master needs us to light up the world... isn't it natural that we would be placed in the darker corners of His worldwide household? What good would a bright candle be if placed next to ten others in a brilliantly lit room?

For all who believe and desire to follow Jesus the Christ, the call will come to stand as a light... in the darkness. Let us recognize the ability we have, as servants of our Redeemer, to fill the shadows of doubt and disbelief with our faith in Him, who is the Way, the Truth, and the Light.

I love the Savior. I love our Father in Heaven. And as this year rolls around, my New Year's Resolution is to show my love for them in every way that I can.

En avant!

Elder Bryan McOmber

No comments :

Post a Comment