Monday, March 6, 2017

Freezing...AGAIN. Blanket fort to stay warm.😂 Second attempt at making Griot. I LOVE the Bible and the Book of Mormon!📖

Hey guys! :)

No pictures... again. I`m really bad at that. I promise I`ll be better this week.... I`ll write it down in my planner so I remember.

We had a couple FREEZING days this week. There were a few nights where we were walking and I had my scarf AND hat on (which I honestly don`t wear very often unless it`s SUPER cold) and I was still dying. My face felt like I was dunking it in ice water over and over again. It was crazy. And this week it will be back above 0 again. I do not understand Canadian roller coaster weather. :P

My companion made a blanket fort for himself on the bottom bunk. I have no words other than those.

So... I attempted to make griot (a Haitian dish where you marinate pork, boil it, then fry or oven bake it) again this week. We were super excited because we got this nice pork on Monday that was on sale and we stuck it in the slow cooker to marinate for a while and then turned on the slow cooker during weekly planning so it could cook. Well, we went in later and our pork had the consistency of tuna. Have you ever tried to make fried griot with the consistency of tuna? Yeah, it`s not the best. We had a wonderful dinner because it reminded us how great some of the other meals we eat are. Opposition in all things, right? :P

This week I just want to share my testimony of the Book of Mormon. For those of you who are not LDS and are reading this email, first, I want to explain that the Book of Mormon does not replace the Bible in the least. We use both books of scripture together to understand God`s plan for us, in the same way as a student uses more than one source to research a certain topic. And I love the Bible. There are so many passages and chapters, especially in the New Testament, that touch me and help me to understand better who the Savior is and what He did and what He wants me to do. It is in large part due to a study I did on the Four Gospels that I came to feel that I know the Savior`s personality better than before.

The Book of Mormon is a record of a people who lived in the Americas thousands of years ago. Their records were written on plates of gold by a prophet named Mormon (thus the name of the book), who gave them to his son Moroni, who buried them in the ground to prevent them from being destroyed in about 420 AD. Over a thousand years later, in the 1820`s, this same Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith, who had been called as the first prophet of these modern days, and directed him to the place where these plates were buried. Joseph Smith then translated the writings on the plates into English, and it was printed as the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

And I know it`s true! I`ve read it. I`ve studied it. And I`ve applied the teachings of these ancient prophets in my life in the same way I`ve applied the teachings in the Bible, and they work! The Savior said, "My doctrine is not mine, but His that sent me. If any man will do His willhe shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." (John 7:16-17)

First we apply, and then we know. I`ve applied it, and I now know that the Book of Mormon is true. I have studied and prayed and worked to gain that testimony and I can say that it`s true because I`ve felt it! In a world so full of confusion and arguments, where hundreds of different religions argue over what a passage of Biblical scripture means, we have another witness, another point of reference to help us understand what we can do to be truly happy.

If you haven`t read the Book of Mormon, or if it`s been a while since you`ve simply read it through, my invitation is to do so. That`s it. Just read it for yourself. No strings attached. You don`t have to tell anyone. Just read it and see for yourself. And I promise, as a representative of Jesus Christ, that you will feel it. No matter how many times you`ve read it before, no matter what you`ve heard or read, you will feel it. I know it!

En avant!

Elder Bryan McOmber

No comments :

Post a Comment