Monday, July 11, 2016

The Lord REALLY values famiies. How to deal with stress. Simplify & Prioritize. Pics!


Hey everyone! :)

So President Phillips is like the best mission president ever! :) (Well, he's the co-best, with President Patrick). We got to meet him this past week and he is seriously so cool. His family are so awesome as well. He brought three of his children, and they're super cool, and so's Sister Phillips. Their testimonies are SUPER strong and I'm super excited to get to know them better. President Phillips is a great teacher, and he knows the scriptures really well.

Anyways, life is going well! We did a LOT of driving this week. I used to really enjoy road trips... I'm growing to dislike them more and more now. :P But it's been fun. We had a cool experience today in relation to family history. We drove up to our chapel to do our emails, and there was a car pulling out of the chapel. The woman inside wasn't a member, and I wondered what she was doing there. But she turned around as we got out of our car and drove up to us. She rolled down her window and asked us who we were. We were a bit taken aback, but we explained who we are and she started to explain that she'd heard we have a family history center and she wanted some help with her family history. She wasn't a member, but she'd done some family history at an LDS family history center in the States (she spoke perfect English as well as French). She was super nice and explained that she is trying to help her grandmother write her biography. While we were talking she kept saying how crazy it was that we'd pulled up at the same time as she was there, and we had all the information she needed. She'd been trying for a while with no luck to contact the church. It was a nice reminder of how much the Lord values families and growing closer to our loved ones.

These past few weeks have been pretty stressful for me; seems like I've had kind of a constant headache. I'm not sure why; there's just a lot of things on my mind and a lot of work that needs to get done. Sometimes it can become a little bit overwhelming to deal with all of the different responsibilities that come with being a missionary. I've been thinking a lot about how to deal with stress, and I think the best answer that has come to my mind is the one that everyone has always told me in the first place (crazy how that works, right?). Simplify and prioritize.

I've found that the best way to simplify problems is to look at what needs to get done now, what needs to get done in the next week, and what needs to be done in more of a long-term perspective. For example, I don't need to fix all of the problems in the ward council today. I don't need to find fifteen investigators today. But I do need to call the bishop to set up an appointment for this week so we can talk about his vision for the ward. And I do need to call one of our members tomorrow to follow up on how they've kept the commitment we gave them last week. As I am a very organized person, thinking in this way has really helped me to stop stressing over ALL of the different problems around me, and to deal with them systematically and calmly.

However, there are always moments where there is a scheduling issue. My companion and I work hard, but we just can't be in three places at once. And so we have to prioritize. Is it more important to plan out some exchanges right now or to go contacting down by 1st Avenue? Is it more important to visit this member family for dinner whom we've cancelled on multiple times or to go see an investigator who is preparing for baptism? It's a constant decision making process and sometimes it can get very difficult. But all of this seems to become much easier to process and much less stressful when I step back and remember why I'm here.

I am here to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive His restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. As I simplify and prioritize the responsibilities I am given to fit into this mold of who I'm trying to be, I have come to recognize that life is not so complicated. Problems are not so difficult. And joy and peace are not so hard to find. Somehow, almost magically, when I focus on why I'm here, all of these tasks become much easier to accomplish and I become much happier.

So this week, I'm going to focus on simplifying and prioritizing. Here goes nothing! :)

En avant!

Elder Bryan McOmber

A Filipino member gave us some insanely spicy chicken and rice for lunch after church.  We almost died.

No comments :

Post a Comment