Monday, June 6, 2016

My new comp! Two soaked but happy Elders...I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!! Pics!

Hello dearest and darlingest people of mine! :)

It's been a hectic week! My companion is going home in 2 days and so we have been visiting lots of people so that he can say goodbye! And suddenly EVERYONE wants to feed us so I feel about like I'm going to explode. We've had crepes, homemade brioche, grilled pork, more grilled pork, bacon-wrapped grilled cheese (SO not good for you), and in the next few days we are to have even more food. Kind of insane. I don't know if I will be capable of eating anything for the next few weeks.

Fun fact! Did you know the best way to eat a crepe is to just put butter and a light amount of sugar on top and then roll it up and eat it and smile? I do now. :)

Other fun facts. Well, I'm receiving a new companion! His name is Elder Blackwelder and he will be joining me in this lovely city of Quebec for at least the next 6 weeks. So this should be a wonderfully joyful time. It's also kind of insane because during this next transfer (6 week period) I will hit my year mark and that means I will have less time left in the field than I've spent in the field and I am SO not ready for that point. But hey, it hasn't come yet so I will content myself in ignorance. :)

Another fun story. We had two exchanges in a row this past week, which was kind of fun! But also crazy. Anyways, in the first exchange, I was with one of the Ste-Foy elders, Elder Obering (who happened to be in the MTC at the same time as me, but he was called in Spanish). He's serving in the same city as me, but his area is downtown so he doesn't have a car. So I took his companion's bus pass and we bused around my area of Quebec for the evening. Sounds fun, right? Well, kind of.

It started off all right. We went to do some service in his area, and Elder Peery and Elder Noorda dropped us off and left with the car. We did some gardening with a member's friend for a couple hours, then the member took us back to the Ste-Foy elders' apartment. We had appointment soon, so Elder Obering changed into his white shirt and tie and we planned on stopping by our apartment on our way to our appointments. Except the buses took like a million years to get back to our apartment, so we were already late and I ended up just going to our appointments in my service clothes. Which, honestly, was kind of fun. People were a LOT more willing to talk to me when I wasn't wearing a white shirt and tie. Anyways, we went to our appointments and everything was going great. It was lightly raining when we left our last appointment, and we were feeling good. But as we walked a couple blocks over to the bus stop, suddenly the angels in heaven started a gigantic water balloon fight. We started walking much quicker to get to the bus stop, only to find that it was the ONLY bus stop in Quebec without the slightest covering. So we continued to get soaked. The only other man at the stop was wearing a rain jacket and he was laughing at us pretty hard. We were laughing too, and it actually helped us have a pretty great conversation with him. He gave us his phone number and name and we're planning on going to see him sometime this week. It was definitely interesting pulling out my planner and pencil in pouring rain and trying to write down his number. In a heavenly miracle, the one spot on my planner that didn't get wet was the part where I had to write his phone number. God is good. :) It was super funny watching people's faces as we got on the bus that night, one wearing a white shirt and tie, one in a t-shirt and shorts, both wearing name tags and both soaked straight to the bone. Honestly, it was super fun. :)

Man, I love being a missionary. :)

All I can say this week is that the Lord loves us. It would have been really easy for me to have been depressed and angry that while I was trying to serve God here in my mission, I found myself shivering in freezing rain at night in the middle of a foreign country, being made fun of in a foreign language by foreign people who don't even know my name. And yet honestly, I was incapable of wiping the smile from my face that entire night. I am not who I used to be. The Lord has taken my heart and changed me for the better and I owe everything good I do and am to Him and His love. I am so grateful that He loves me enough to let me struggle, to let things not go right in my life. I am so grateful that He loves me enough to catch me when I fall, to inspire me when things get rough and when I feel like I don't want to take another step. I'm not perfect, and I'm not always happy and optimistic. But I am different and I love the Savior for helping me to sacrifice what I want for something better.

Missions are amazing!!! :)

En avant!

Elder Bryan McOmber
We stopped by the fleuve while on exchanges in Montreal.


Elder Caine! He's from the island of Mauritius off the coast of Africa. Super cool elder! :)



Le Super Berger! :) (super bear-jay) In English, super shepherd! We taught Primary last Sunday and he played a very important part in the lesson.
That moment when you get wrecked by a Quebec rainstorm...
Stillllllll smilin' though! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment