Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Halfway Through the MTC and Still LOVING It!

Hello all!
I'm having a pretty grand time here at the MTC! Working my tail end off to learn the language, but I'm still learning quickly and it's a blast because I know I'm working for a good cause! Something interesting about the MTC; there are these people who act like "investigators" (they all wear special gold tags) and we are supposed to contact them while we walk throughout the MTC and set up lessons with them! Everyone else in our district is teaching one "gold tag" as well as teaching our regular French instructors who pretend to be investigators. But Elder Woo and I have TWO gold tags we're teaching as well as our two regular investigators! It's nothing personal... it's just that we're better than everyone else! Okay, no. We're actually very much newbies to the whole "teach people about the Savior" thing. But we're working hard and we're trying. And that's what's important.

Found out a couple funny things this week. First, every elder in my district has seen the Lizzie McGuire movie enough to break into song as soon as somebody says "hey now." I'm not even kidding. We've all broken out into a harmonious rendition of her Colosseum song. More than once. Actually, many times. Second, I think that my roommates have a snoring issue. I have used my earplugs many many times so far. (Thanks, Mom! <3) They also enjoy talking in their sleep. Elder Bird woke me up in the middle of the night by yelling, in his sleep, "I'M SITTING HERE. NO! I'M SITTING RIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT HERE!!!! LOOK AT ME!!" I laughed pretty dang hard. He's a funny guy. Third, Elder Sykes' mom sent him two puzzles (a 750 pc and a 1000 pc) and the elders LOVE them. We fly through our meals just to get an extra 30 minutes at the residence to puzzle it up. We finished a 750 piece puzzle in just our free time (about an hour a day) in three days. We're very proud of that. Now it's time to start on the 1000 piece! I'm extremely excited.

I found a scripture passage which I LOVE the other day. In my studies, I've been looking at the story of Ammon, the INCREDIBLE missionary in the Book of Mormon. His story begins in Alma 17. My favorite part of the entire story is in Alma 18:24-40, in which Ammon teaches King Lamoni, a king of the Lamanites, and his servants about the gospel. He starts from the beginning and relates God's plan for each of us all the way through. But he finishes (verse 39) with an explanation of the importance of Christ and His Atonement for each of us. The Atonement is REAL. Our Savior and Older Brother gave literally EVERYTHING He had for us so that we can return to live with Him. I LOVE that!! I feel so close to Christ each time I pray, and I know that He hears us when we turn to him in prayer. He loves each of us so much! That's the most important part of this gospel: the ability to be cleansed through the Atonement of Christ and become clean and pure before He who shed His own blood and tears for each of us individually. I love Him so much and I cannot WAIT to share this message with the people of Montreal in 3 weeks!

I love each and every one of you and you are in my prayers always! I'm gonna try to attach some pictures to this letter so ya'll know who these people I talk about are.

Good luck in everywhere you all are! Remember you never stand alone!

En avant!

Elder Bryan McOmber

P.S.  Here are some pictures:

 From left to right - Elders Phillips, Herring, me, Woo, Niederhauser, Bird, Critchlow, and Sykes.

 Elder Woo and I

 Elder Woo and I after finishing the puzzle. We were deeply proud.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment